SpeedRanker
SpeedRanker Community  
December 15, 2017, 04:00:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dave T ftmfw Smiley

Forum Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you seen the movie Gattaca?  (Read 3523 times)
DaveT
Administrator

« on: January 09, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1110244/Britains-cancer-free-designer-baby-born-screened-deadly-gene.html

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 GT - CPE CAI, CPE DP, CPE FMIC, SBII + Blackbox, HKS BOV, CPE Meth kit, CP-E Rear Engine Mount
dmitriyo
Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »

Holy Gattaca indeed..

... we are getting there.

iRobot - getting there too

xcoldricex
Beta Tester

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »

i don't see how this is drastically different from all the prenatal screens offered today.  We routinely test for Down's, Patau's, and Edward's syndromes... with IVF there's a gamut of screens that can be done for things like cystic fibrosis, huntington's disease, etc...  i don't really see this as creating a designer baby.  also there is no guarantee that this will be a cancer free baby.  plenty of people develop breast cancer without the BRCA1/BRCA2 genes... 

oh i just read the rest of the article and that perspective is covered. 
DaveT
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »

I just remember watching Gattaca and wondering how on earth it would be possible to NOT end up there.  We WILL gain more and more technology and ability to screen more and more out of the babies.  How on earth can we justify not continuing that trend.  Eventually, well, Gattaca...  Almost seems unavoidable.

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 GT - CPE CAI, CPE DP, CPE FMIC, SBII + Blackbox, HKS BOV, CPE Meth kit, CP-E Rear Engine Mount
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: